How to Claim a flight late or canceled? This is one of the questions you ask us most, especially now that the holiday season is approaching and that, with it, fears begin about possible flight delays, cancellations or the much feared overbooking.
It would be preferable for vacations to flow smoothly, but we know that cancellations and delays are the order of the day and we, the users, often for not knowing our rights, end up not claiming a canceled or delayed flight and, for Therefore, we lose the compensation to which we may be entitled after these situations that disrupt us so much.
And we tell you from experience. When we traveled to Greece, the flight had a delay of more than 3 hours and because we ignored our rights, in the end we ended up arriving later at our destination and without compensation.
We tell you more details what you can or cannot claim, who can help you and above all, how to claim a late flight, canceled or overbooking.
What can i claim?
Prepare to be surprised by the number of situations you can and should claim:
- In order to claim this compensation, the flight must have taken off in the EU, or the airline operating the flight must have its headquarters in the EU. And yes, in most cases, this will be so, so you already have a very important part in your favor.
- You are entitled to compensation for your flight delay after 3 hours of delay.
- You have the right to compensation for cancellation when they notify you less than 14 days in advance.
- You are entitled to compensation for overbooking if you are denied entry to the plane without your agreement.
- You receive between 250 and 600 euros of compensation, depending on the distance between the origin and the destination.
- Keep in mind that after 2 hours of delay, on a flight of less than 1500 kilometers, the airline must provide you with free food and drinks. If the flight is between 1500 and 3500 kilometers, the time space is increased to 3 hours and if it is more than 3500 kilometers to 4 hours.
- If the delay is more than 5 hours, as a passenger you can choose to cancel your trip. If this is your case, the airline must reimburse you the full amount of the ticket or offer you an alternative transport.
- In addition, you must provide accommodation or cover the expenses thereof, in addition to transportation to / from the airport, if the delay is extended until the next day. If this is your case, never leave the airport without having a copy of all the documentation in case you are denied this service.
- And last but not least, remember that you can claim even for flights of the last 5 years. Make memory and if you have the documentation, do not miss it!
What I can not claim?
As we mentioned earlier, as passengers we have rights, but there are circumstances in which the airline is not responsible for the incident, so it is not required to pay any compensation time.
We detail the cases for which you will not be able to claim compensation for delay, cancellation or overbooking: When the arrival delay is less than 3 hours.
- When the airline notifies you of the cancellation of the flight more than 14 days in advance.
- If, for any reason, you did not make the billing within the term imposed by the airline.
- If more than 5 years have passed since the delay, cancellation or overbooking of the flight.
- If you booked the ticket at a special rate, not available for different reasons, for the general and usual public.
- If the delay or cancellation of the flight has been caused by “Extraordinary circumstance”, which is not the responsibility of the company.
Claim flight with delay, cancellation or overbooking
** This article is written as part of a collaboration with Flightright, but always based on our experiences, with original content and without any brand having influenced us in any case.