This list of 20 essential tips for traveling to Barcelona, will help you prepare a getaway to a city that falls in love at first sight.
With the 1992 Olympic Games Barcelona opened to the Mediterranean Sea and to the whole world. Its great cultural and leisure offer, its old neighborhoods, narrow streets, modernist buildings, parks, terraces, along with a great gastronomy of tapas, fish and seafood, have been delighting the millions of tourists who visit it every year. year.
We can say that Barcelona is one of the cities that we know best and that we have visited more times, so based on our experience, we leave you 20 useful tips that will show you the best way to move around the city, save money and time, in addition to visit less known places and enjoy the most of a trip to Barcelona. We start!
1. Take the subway or bus, instead of the taxi, to get to your accommodation from the airport. You will save money and at peak traffic hours, time.
2. If you don't have many days, don't try to see everything, Barcelona is immense. Much of the charm of the city is being able to walk peacefully through the streets of its oldest neighborhoods, buy or look for a souvenir in its proximity stores or take a good cane in one of its terraces.
In addition, traveling to Barcelona is very economical if you book early. You can check it with Omio and let yourself be surprised.
3. Visit for free the first Sunday of the month, the spectacular Hospital de la Santa Creu and Sant Pau, one of the essential places to visit in Barcelona. This site is one of the best examples of modernist architecture in Barcelona, built by the famous architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner. This hospital, declared a World Heritage Site, is very close to the Sagrada Familia, so if you do not have many days, it is advisable to combine the two visits. If you want to know better the history of the hospital you can book this guided tour.
4. Stay away from the most tourist areas like Las Ramblas or the surroundings of the Sagrada Familia. Neighborhoods such as El Born, Poble Nou, Sants, La Barceloneta or Gràcia, among others, have a great gastronomic offer where you can find everything from quality tapas food to daily menus of very cheap traditional Catalan food.
5. See the city from Turó de la Rovira, one of the best viewpoints in Barcelona and one of the best things to do in Barcelona. Here are the Carmel Bunkers, in it you can see the remains of an anti-aircraft battery of the Spanish Civil War. You can arrive by bus and make the last part of the journey on foot.
Without a doubt, one of the best tips for traveling to Barcelona.
6. If you are looking for accommodation not far from the center of Barcelona, a good option is the Airbnb hosting portal. With a wide offer and much cheaper than a hotel, you can rent an apartment or share it with other people.
A good area to stay is the district of L'Eixample, the popular Barrio de Grácia or Poble Nou, especially if you can't find anything affordable in the downtown area.
7. A great way to explore the city is the bicycle rental service or Bicing (only for residents). Imagine that the city is approaching 200 kilometers of bike lane, becoming one of the easiest cities to travel with this healthy and no polluting means of transport in Barcelona.
8. Another of the Essential tips for traveling to Barcelona It is, besides seeing the outside, visiting the impressive Casa Batlló, one of the most incredible places in Barcelona and the world, which we are sure, will not leave you indifferent.
As a complement to the visit to Casa Batlló, nothing better than doing a free tour with a local guide that will take you for about 2 hours through the most famous sites of the city center, including the magical Gothic quarter, explaining the history and curiosities of each place.
Another good free tour is the one made by the modernist monuments, considered one of the best excursions in Barcelona, which passes through the Palau de la Música Catalana de Lluís Domènech i Montaner and Casa Batlló and La Pedrera de Gaudí, among others.
19. Forget about the currency exchange, at least to pay in the most tourist places and in the restaurants. In Barcelona you can pay virtually everywhere with a credit card.
20. Stroll several times and during different times of the day on the Ramblas, the most famous street in Barcelona. During the tour you can not miss the La Boqueria market, full of quality product stalls and perfect for tapas. Do not forget before leaving the city to drink at the Canaletas fountain. They say that he who drinks his water returns to Barcelona. You'll want to check it, right?
If you feel like helping us expand the list of 20 tips for traveling to Barcelona, add yours in the comments.
** This article is written as part of a collaboration as Omio Ambassadors, but always based on our experiences, with original content and without any brand having influenced us in any case.