Kyoto, the perfect combination of tradition and modernity. If there is a city that we cannot miss in Japan, this is Kyoto. Its more than a thousand Buddhist temples, palaces, beautiful gardens, museums, traditional neighborhoods where we can meet a geisha or maiko, a delicious gastronomy or the education of its people make Kyoto our favorite city in Japan. There's a lot things to see and do in Kyoto, we have made a list of 50 best things to do in Kyoto after the experience of spending 6 days in the city during the trip to Japan in 21 days for free, in which we made a route from Kyoto to Tokyo.
1. Strolling along the banks of the Kamo River at sunset while watching traditional houses with their red lanterns is one of the Kyoto images that you will keep forever in memory.
2. Count the 1001 impressive statues of Kannon, the Buddhist goddess of mercy or that of a thousand arms, in the Temple of Sanjusangendo.
3. Take a leisurely stroll along the Way of Philosophy, a path of about 2 kilometers that borders a canal, especially beautiful in spring with cherry blossoms.
4. Visit the beautiful Ginkakuji temple or silver pavilion, a Zen Buddhist temple with a spectacular garden, near the Way of Philosophy.
5. Find while you stroll at sunset the beautiful Shinto shrine Yasaka Jinja in the Gion District.
6. Take the train to visit the Fushimi Inari-Taisha Shrine, with its thousands of toriis that make it one of the places to visit in Kyoto.
11. Book a day to visit the city of Nara, with a park full of deer where you can not miss the amazing Todaiji temple, one of the best temples of Japan.
12. Enter Nijo Castle through the Karamon gate, a complex with beautiful gardens next to the Ninomaru palace.
13. Do not finish the Way of Philosophy without visiting the Nanzen-ji Temple, a Zen Buddhist temple.
14. If you don't want to miss anything, it is advisable to book a visit with a Spanish guide to learn more about the history and curiosities of the places you visit in the city.
More things to do in Kyoto
15. Walking at night on the traditional and narrow street of Pontocho, the most famous street in Kyoto full of shops, restaurants, tea houses and red lanterns where we can see, if we are lucky, a geisha.
16. Visit the Golden Pavilion or Kinkaku-ji, the most beautiful temple in Kyoto.
45. Take advantage that closes an hour later than most temples to visit the great Nishi Honganji temple. Next to it we also have the Higashi Honganji temple, which is also worth visiting.
46. Try a good ramen, noodle soup, in the Ramen Sen No Kaze.
47. See the flowers of the Daikaku-ji Buddhist temple, located in the Arashiyama area.
48. Although it is a bit far we can not leave Japan without visiting Miyajima Island, with its famous torii on the sea. We recommend you do it in two days and spend the night on the island.
49. Even if you have visited Kyoto at other times of the year, come back to see it in spring, with the beautiful cherry blossoms.
50. Do not worry about the language or losing yourself, you will always find some Japanese to help you. His extreme education and simplicity are one of the many things that will make you return to Kyoto and Japan.
* Book here your JRP of 7.14 or 21 days with shipping included
If you feel like helping us complete the list of 50 things to see and do in Kyoto, add yours in the comments.