There are many things to do Madrid, an exciting city to enjoy it to the fullest both day and night. There are few cities with the atmosphere of Madrid at night, at which time it is full of people in bars and terraces, having a beer or enjoying a good tapas. Nor can we forget its museums, squares, markets and monuments, or tour the market of the Trail in search of a bargain or stroll through the Retiro park.
We have visited Madrid many times, a city that we love, whether for work or leisure. A while ago we spent two weeks at Christmas visiting many of its most famous corners. Based on our experience we wanted to make a list 50 things to see and do in Madrid, especially for those who travel for the first time to the city. We start!
1. Go up to the rooftop terrace of the Círculo de Bellas Artes to enjoy one of the best views of Madrid.
2. Devour the typical and delicious squid sandwich with a cane at La Campana Bar.
3. Look for a bargain on a Sunday morning at the Trail, an open-air market where you can buy all kinds of objects, but beware of pickpockets.
4. Find the Crystal Palace in El Retiro next to its artificial lake forming one of the most beautiful images and one of the best things to see in Madrid.
5. Stroll through the huge Plaza de España, with buildings such as the Tower of Madrid, that of the Asturian Mine Company, the Gallardo House, the Spain House or the Miguel de Cervantes Monument.
6. Tour the Gran Vía day and night, full of theaters, cinemas, restaurants and fashion stores.
A good option to learn more about the history of the city is to book this free tour of Madrid with a guide in Spanish. Free!
More things to see and do in Madrid
11. Go for tapas and canes to the historic Mercado de San Miguel.
12. Observe the entire Plaza de Cibeles, with its famous fountain of the goddess Cibeles surrounded by buildings such as the Bank of Spain, the Palace of Communications, the Palace of Linares or Buenavista.
13. Walk, disconnect and enjoy the gardens of Parque del Capricho, located in Alameda de Osuna.
14. Cross the Arc de Cuchilleros and enter La Plaza Mayor, the most beautiful square and one of the best places to see in Madrid.
The Prado Museum
44. See the beautiful white marble Neptune Fountain in the Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo, a symbol for Atlético de Madrid fans.
45. Dance on the seven floors of the most famous disco in Madrid: Kapital.
46. Visit the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum in the Villahermosa Palace, with one of the most important art collections in the world.
47. Book an excursion on the train from Felipe II to the huge Royal Monastery of the Escorial, a World Heritage Site, which includes a royal palace, a basilica, a pantheon, a library and the monastery. This tour is on the list of the best getaways near Madrid.
48. Sit on one of its benches and enjoy the sunset in the Plaza de Oriente looking at the colors of the Royal Palace.
49. Take a guided tour of the El Pardo Palace, where we can visit the palace, gardens and the Royal Chapel.
50. Have a good cocktail at the 1862 Dry Bar while we remember the phrase «From Madrid to heaven, and from there, a little hole to see it»
* Book your transfer Airport ⇆ Centro or Hotel de Madrid here
If you feel like helping us complete the list of 50 things to see and do in Madrid, add yours in the comments.
** All photos have been provided by Shutterstock.